In one week I leave for Italy!! I can't wait. This trip comes as a last minute plan. Originally I had decided that for my 35th birthday I wanted to take a girls trip to the beach somewhere. Somewhere warm to get out of this winter mess that is New York. This was the plan until a month ago when I spoke to my friend/cousin through marriage Heather. I realized that last year ALL of my vacation time was for someone else. Family trips, Weddings, other people's Birthday choices. Not one trip was made solely based on my wants. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my family and watching friends get married but a vacation, by my definition, is a time where you can completely relax and detox from your normal life. So with that said, Meredith and I book a 10 day trip to Rome and Florence for pure selfish reasons.
No Couples Aloud!!
We both have been getting the shaft lately when it comes to trips and activities. It seems that every one of my friends are in relationships. Not that I am not happy for them or bitter (well maybe a little), it is just we have been the 3rd and 5th wheel and often left out of plans due to the fact that we do not have significant others. We were even invited to a wedding together, as a couple. So this is when we said, "forget all you lovey dovey folks, this time YOU are the ones not invited" and booked our trip. This way it will just be single girls on the trip and no one will have to check in with their man to see if they can or can not have drinks with sexy Roberto the Italian stud from the local coffee shop (Roberto is a fictional character as of now. Fingers crossed that can change).
![]() |
| Robert will be waiting |
ROME
We will fly into Rome and meet up with Heather Wiese and Alessandro (our Italian driver) on the 11th. Plans in Rome are to eat, drink and sit and ponder life's decisions. I may find time in there to go back to the Vatican since the last time I was there was in 97 after downing 5 Cappuccinos in one hour and high on caffeine. I would like to pay the Sistine Chapel a visit as an adult. Meredith and I both have done all the Roman touristy things back in the day so this time it is for pure relaxation. We want to enjoy the people and culture this time. FLORENCE
After a few days in Rome we will head to my home away from home, Florence. It has been since 1998 since I was there last and I can tell you that I will probably cry when I step foot in the city. That place changed my life for the best when I was there in 1997 and I would not be the woman or in New York if it weren't for that city. So much has changed since I was there last and getting to see the city through different eyes will be an experience. I can hardly wait.
We will be staying in an apartment for the time there and getting to live a little. Robbie and Mona (My Italian parents and our directors of our school there) know we are coming and have promised me a meal at the Villa. I will wear my stretchy pants so I can eat every bite. We will also be able to hang out with Jonathan Shackelford, who lives there, and my college suite mate Christy Turk Smith, who is living over there for a year with her husband and kids. I am excited to see all of them.Again, Florence will be about eating and drinking and eating some more. I plan to go see the David again, as I owe him a visit since it's been so long. I plan to relax on the Arno and eat my body weight in Gelalto.
So now all I have to do is do laundry, pick out the most perfect outfits, pack and make sure everything is taken care of at home while I am gone. I will probably add some shopping in there so I can make sure I look my very best for Roberto ;). Wish me luck!!


3 comments:
Chitty I am so jealous! I would love to go to Italy. One of our sweet friends is at huf right now. Her name is Jenna. She will be excited to meet you. She has heard a few chitty stories. Tell her hi for us and hug Turk for me. Have fun.
Have so much fun. If you pass by Sant'Eustachio in Rome (between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona) you must stop and get a cappucinno or buy some coffee beans. They are the best.
Hope you have a great trip!!
Post a Comment