Remember when you sold those candy bars, America's Finniest or something like that, in school and then you win prizes for how much you sell? Well I used all my rewards on Thriller album cover iron-on's. He was IT! Every kid wanted to be him.
Rick and I would stay up on Friday nights to watch Friday Night Videos (before MTV) and the Billie Jean video was the coolest thing ever. I wanted to walk on that sidewalk and make them light up like he did.

I also remember when MTV was going to air Thriller for the first time. Rick and I stayed up to watch it. It was worth it. The video scared me but also fascinated me. I was amazed how real the zombies looked. I immediately started trying to learn the dance.

In 3rd grade my cousins, Hollie and Heidi, and I made a routine to PYT and performed it for our families. We charged 5 cents to come to the show. We also sang the entire song We Are The World. It was a Michael Jackson tribute night I guess. They have that on video. I would love to get it online.
Say Say Say with Paul McCartney is still one of my favorites of MJ.

Of course there is Beat It and Man in the Mirror. The list goes on and on. Pretty much every single song of his was a hit.
At Harding my 2nd year we had a Kojie Halloween party. We were just supposed to
come dressed up. I had to go the extra mile and got 5 of us together to be the Jackson 5 and have a routine as well. We had a dance and lip sync routine to ABC. Fro's, paint and all. After that "the Bazaar Band Bash" was formed. The following year I had to make a comeback and I was not about to let anyone beat the King of Pop so we with more people involved we did a tribute to Motown Records. Jackson 5, Supremos and Gladys Night and the Pips. I wish I had photos of this but they are back home in Shreveport.
Senior year it was tough to get a comeback of the Jackson 5 so I took it upon myself to make sure that Michael made a last appearance. I needed a little work on my moon walk for sure.

Michael Jackson has been through a life that non of us can identify with. He troubled, abused in many forms and confused. He was a very lonely man and never grew into a man. He chose to remain a child in his mind which is where all the controversy began with his relationships with kids. I like to believe that he really thought of those kids as his friends and that he never hurt them. I know a lot of people disagree with me. But what we can all agree on is that he was a music and entertainment Genius.
I will always be a fan of him and his music and it will constantly inspire me to get up and dance no mater what age I am.
We will Miss you Michael Jackson!
5 comments:
Jamie Girl,
I must admit...last night like YOU I was completely shocked by this news...and saddened in many aspects as well. I also must tell you, that after working 12 hours yesterday and before going to bed, I DID come and check your blog to see if you had posted on this news alert...You immediately came to my mind as a first responder on this! Not joking...I will always remember our Jackson 5 skit and dance- the pictures are even more priceless! MJ will always be on my top list of legends-with many memories of my childhood intertwined. Thanks for a great post, I feel your pain!
P.S. I am so glad he taught you such great dance moves over the years...Kojies have such history with his influences and your creativity! Love to you, Wendy Shackelford Leonard
Jamie, that's a great tribute! Your feelings are very similar to mine. Andrew and I were obsessed with MJ, too and that obsession was definitely a bonding issue. Those childhood times of watching Thriller every hour on the hour, working SO hard to learn all the dance moves, buying as many MJ photo stickers as I could get my hands on, etc. are the moments that came back to me.
Like you I believe that his actions with children all came out of innocent care for kids and that he had no understanding of how others viewed it. A few years back (2001 or 2003?) around the time the famous interview with the kid who later accused him came out I met one of his former costume workers (who was on tour with Cher and attended a paint-your-own pottery party along with Cher that I worked- a whole 'nother story) he gave me a bit of his view and thought that MJ lived in a fantasy world with little clue to what regular life is. No big shock but interesting to see it from an insider's perspective. The sadness of losing him is even worse because his life seems so sad.
One last story-I taught at an all-girl Catholic high school for awhile and evvery year there was a huge "talent show" which was mostly made up of elaborate lip-sync performances. SO up your ally! My 1st year there the faculty did Thriller. We were full on zombies! Imagine a bunch of 50-60 yr old women doing the Thriller moves! (one of whom is actually an acclaimed dancer) And the principal (a man) came out as MJ with small fro, dark make-up, red jacket, etc. It was such fun! And made me think of you!
Keep those fun memories at the front of your mind as you deal with this sadness.
Oh, and I hope things are looking up for you on the NYC/ apartment front. I'm apalled at the shape of your apartment. - YIKES!
Really? "WE" made up a dance? You know YOU made it up!! Ha! I have to say that you were the first one I thought of when I heard the sad news.
I might have some of those Kojie pictures...I'll have to see if I can find them! Miss you...think about you often...I just need to come to NYC to see you!
Post a Comment