CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

NBC-ya


I am sure all of you have been keeping up with the Battle for Tonight Show. Team Conan or Team Leno? Which one are you? I will argue to keep Conan till the death. Now I know some of you are Leno fans, which I have no idea why, so I will try to be as kind as I can. Here's my thoughts on it:

Leno is a has-been. He is old, can't deliver a joke to save his life, has no comic timing, makes sexual passes to guest which is creepy and has had his time on the show. If you all remember, 5 years ago he decided to retire. He announced it on his show that he was wanting to retire and he would pass down the show to Conan. 5 years came fast and it was time for him to leave. And like a spoiled, pouty little brat at an arcade "he didn't want to leave" (to be said in the most annoying little kid voice possible.) He threw a fit and you could see him getting jealous that his time was up.

So after stomping his feet on the ground and screaming "It's not fair" NBC agreed to give him a Prime time show. NBC was trying to save money so they thought the best way was to cut out the 10:00 EST pricey dramas and put a talk show. We all know that one hour drama's cost way more than talk shows or reality shows. They thought this would save them money. Instead it lost the company more money than planned and it lost what's the most important thing to them, their viewers.

No one wanted to watch an old man trying to be funny and steal ideas from other talk shows. Therefore at 10pm everyone tuned in to the TV dramas such as Criminal Minds, Law and Order, CSI, etc. They turned the channel to CBS which lead them into watching the CBS news. Which ultimately lead them to watching Letterman. This was not Conan's fault, as Conan and Letterman have most of the same viewers. And now that they were competing on the same times people watch Letterman out of convenience.

So now, only after 7 months, they are saying that Conan is not pulling in the viewers that he needs to stay on. Do they not remember that he had an amazingly successful show for 17 years? Do they also not remember that it takes a few months to get in the swing of things? And do they not remember that he is competing with Letterman, someone that shares his viewership? Oh ya, and do they not remember that THEY are the ones that screwed up the network buy putting a talk show before the news? I'm not sure that they do.

Also, lets flash back to 1992 when Carson retired from the Tonight Show. They offered the show to Leno (when Carson was fighting for Letterman to have the spot). At that time Letterman was on after Carson on NBC. He later went on to host the CBS time slot that he is in now. After only hosting the tonight show for a few months NBC told Leno that he wasn't making them happy and threatened to give the job to Letterman. Funny how history repeats himself.

It's like Leno is in an abusive relationship with NBC. They constantly knock him how telling him that he is not good enough and he stays around defending them even though he knows what they are doing is wrong. At least Conan is defending himself and not sticking around to put up with it.

So now Conan is leaving on Jan.22nd and Leno is coming back to the Tonight Show. He's such an Indian giver. Does he not know the meaning of retiring? Does he not have a consequence about pushing Conan out of a job? All he had to do is turn it down and show some respect and Conan would still have his job. Instead he is being a selfish child and taking the toy back after giving it to the other kid. Way to be a man Leno.

They tried to ruin the late night spot all together by putting Leno at a 30 minute spot before Conan. How would that work? And how would it be the Tonight Show if it comes on at midnight? That my friends is the next morning.

So yes, I am blaming NBC first and Leno second. I have written 3 letters voicing my opinions to NBC and Leno already. I am also banning Leno from my house. NBC used to be my favorite network but my loyalties have changed. I will watch The Office, 30 Rock and SNL but that is it for your network.

I know most of you don't really care about this because you have families and other things to worry about. But according to TV Guide 85% of the viewers are on Team Conan. If I were in charge of a network, and I so should be, I would listen to that.

Shame on you NBC and shame on you Leno!

0 comments: